Realizing that my previous clock #1 pendulum has a low unloaded Q because I chose to suspend it in a plain brass pivot, I tried a knife edge suspension. To hang the pendulum, I took a piece of wood with a branch at a right angle and shaped it into a strong bracket.
The bracket has a slot cut into it to receive the pendulum's knife edge. The pendulum knife edge is crude at this point, and not very artistic.
Unloaded, the Q is around 300-500 with some steel weight I tied onto the bottom.
For the count wheel, I cut a simple 30 tooth ratchet wheel from 1/8" plywood. I tried to get the tooth spacing about what would correspond to a degree or two of pendulum amplitude about 6" from the suspension.
The count wheel is driven by two wire lever pallets.
The left pallet attaches to a hole in the pendulum and pulls the count wheel to advance it. The right pallet attaches to a separate anchor point, and serves as the backstop.
Here is the assembly, ready for testing.
Starting from a comfortable amplitude, which pushes the backstop about halfway back, the mechanism will run reliably for somewhat longer than 2 minutes.
Starting from just below an amplitude causing double counting, it will run for over 3 minutes. This is heartening, because it indicates that impulsing every one minute is feasible, because there is plenty of extra energy available to let off the escapement (not built yet).