Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cutting gear teeth

I cut teeth on the gear blanks in several stages.  First, I made cuts along one side of each tooth.
Then, I cut along the other side of each tooth.  Notice that I do not yet cut the roots.
To cut out each root, I took two cuts.  First, parallel to one face, removing a little triangle from each tooth.
Finally, the remaining fragment was cut from the root.

Here are three sizes of gears with all teeth cut.

The roots of each tooth were a rough from the blade marks.  So to smooth them out, I used a file.  This is a little subtle: the gear on top in the picture below is after filing and the one on the bottom is before filing.
Finally, I sanded the front and back of each gear to smooth (and remove the paper plans that were initially glued to the gear).



No comments:

Post a Comment