Monday, September 7, 2015

Much filing ensues

I decided that I should rough cut out parts for the timer, and the file them to their final shape.  This way, I should get finer control of the accuracy of the parts, and would avoid gouging them with the saw.

Anyhow, this is a time consuming proposition...  Many hours of filing later, I have this (almost complete) pile of parts:
The gravity arms have yet to be filed, but they're not too critical.  The cycloidal gear teeth took a long time... much longer than the involute teeth on my previous clock.  Also, I was very particular about the spokes.

I still have yet to cut the blocks that will hold the plates apart; I'm waiting until I finish assembling the drive pulley and ratchet since I'm a little unclear of how large that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment