Sunday, October 30, 2016

Balance staff (next step)

Continuing with my balance staff repairs...  I have a watch that is in pretty bad shape: no hands, no case, etc. and it has a broken balance staff.  So, I'm trying to fix it by replacing the balance staff.  The rest of the movement appears to work -- though it's very dirty.

The first step is to dismantle the balance to get at the staff...



Here is the movement without the staff.  It's a six-jeweled wristwatch.  Seems to be well-enough made, at least on the surface.  Edges are generally not filed smooth -- ok....

 
But surprisingly, on the back of the balance cock it appears that the drill for the cap jewel skidded across the surface!


Anyway, here's the balance assembly on its way out.



And another shot of the other side...


Here's a view of the spring collet.  It's easily removed with a screwdriver...


...and the roller table.  I also was able to pry it off with a screwdriver.


And indeed, one pivot is broken off (the bottom one in the picture above)...

After about 4 tries, I managed to turn half of a new balance staff.  It's very small:


Here is the view through the microscope.


You can see the upper pivot (appears at the bottom of the frame, and is too long) and that I've yet to turn the lower pivot. In all the watchmaking books I've found, turning balance staffs the the lathe requires flipping the staff around.  This causes lots of trouble, it seems especially since I don't have a small enough collet.  Previously, I tried a pin vice, but this is very off center when gripped in a collet.  For whatever reason, the three jaw chuck does a better job.

I was able to shorten the staff a bit (the pivots are still to large, but need polishing) using the turns/lathe I made.  Here is a view of the staff, the pulley for driving it, and a dummy for checking length.  The dummy is just a hair too short...


No comments:

Post a Comment