Thursday, August 17, 2017

Clock 1 humidity redux

I think I have finally figured out what goes wrong with Clock 1 when the humidity changes.  After much watching and poking, I found that the third wheel appeared to be sticking slightly, at least whenever the clock stopped.  Carefully pulling the third wheel backwards once the clock stopped, I could feel some rubbing...

I think the third wheel pinion expanded a bit beyond where it was supposed to, or maybe the frame expanded, but in any event, it was fouling at the tip.  After ensuring that the pivot was rigidly planted where it was supposed to be, I took to very slightly filing the addenda of the pinion.

This makes the pinions closer to an ogive form.  I don't think this really matters, because the clock is now happily running even though the humidity has been around 60%.  Hopefully I won't run into an "opposite" problem when the humidity drops later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment