Saturday, January 26, 2019

Clock 4 pendulum pivot

In an effort to reduce the pendulum pivot friction for clock 4, I have decided to try setting the pivots on metal points rather than wood.  The points and matching cups are cut from brass.


While a little hard to see, the pins mount in holes drilled in the end of the pendulum's hook-shaped protrusion.  Once mounted, I marked where they sat on the hanger, and drilled holes to receive the cups.  It sounds more complicated than it is; here is a zoom-in of the installation.


In the process of installing the pins, I snapped off the pendulum's hook.  So that is now gluing.  Once it's dry, I'll be able to tell if this helps to reduce the pendulum's running friction.

Update: after drying, for the unloaded pendulum, I get a median of 71 full periods for the amplitude to halve.  That puts the unloaded Q = 320, which is a little bit better than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment