Sunday, April 12, 2020

Wooden equatorial sundial

I had a laser cut sundial in our garden, but it was destroyed.  No matter, it didn't work well in autumn.  I made a wooden replacement sundial.  Equatorial sundials are easy to lay out, since all of the hour lines are separated by 15 degrees.  You can quickly draw the plans directly on a piece of wood, as I did, with a compass and protractor.


One small point is that the dial itself will be semicircular.  To ensure that I got everything aligned first, I drilled the center of the circular arc. Even though the center will be cut out later, this way I can sight through the gnomon to ensure that everything is in alignment first.


Then I cut out the pieces,


and traced the hour lines.
 

To ensure that the hour lines are visible, I filed them into the dial.


I also woodburned them so that they are clearly visible. I also traced a vertical line so that I can install it on its mounting pole correctly.


Here is a test fit.


Once I was happy with a tight fit, I installed the gnomon, which is a 1/16" brass wire.


Finally, I put a single nail to join the two pieces.


And installed the completed sundial in the garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment