Monday, April 24, 2017

Replacement pendulum for "La Duchesse"

Since the pendulum on the La Duchesse clock is missing, I am attempting to replace it.  I started by threading a length of 1/8" steel rod with 6-32 threads.  That's at least a standard size for which I could either make a knurled nut or buy one.


I find it easiest to thread by hand on the lathe (with the power off).  That way everything stays neatly aligned.  There are markings on the movement saying "3 3/4", which I take to be roughly the length of the lower rod.  At least, that makes the rod just longer than appears to fit nicely in the case.  It's easier to shorten a rod in any event...


The pendulum rod is segmented.  The upper portion is attached to the suspension spring and the crutch, and is also not missing.  The lower half fits a hook on the upper half.  Judging by how the Ansonia Crystal Regulator was made, the lower rod is flattened at the top and drilled to receive the hook.  So, to that end, I heated and hammer the top of the now-threaded steel rod flat.


I center punched the flat, and tried to drill it with the appropriate size drill.  Since I was using a hand drill (I don't have a drill press, and didn't try to set up the work in the lathe... probably should have), I had trouble with the bit slipping.


So I gave up, and bent a hook in the lower half as well.  This was now easy since the steel was flat and annealed.  However, it was too wind to receive the hook in the top rod.  So I filled the hook in the lower rod to fit the upper hook nicely.


Once filed, I hardened and tempered the rod to blue.

I center drilled and turned a bob from a piece of lead (total weight around 1 oz).


I was initially concerned about turning lead being problematic, but it went nicely enough and the surface finish was good.  Since the bob will be concealed inside the case, I didn't feel a need to attempt to polish it.  Eye protection (as usual) was a must, but especially so since the chips were launched everywhere... messy clean-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment