Sunday, April 12, 2020

Astrolabe cases

Two sets of friends are getting married, and as both couples are intellectually curious, I thought an astrolabe would be a nice gift.  But astrolabes alone require some kind of protection... so I decided to make cases for them.

I started from a block of black walnut cut from a tree we had taken down earlier this year.  Since I had previously split it, the wood had been drying all summer in the back yard.

Mostly, the woodworking needed for the boxes was nothing particularly special.  The steps I did were:
  1. Rough cut the block of wood into blocks, each about 2 inches larger than my intended final size.  I used a chainsaw for this, and did the work outside.
  2. Power planed the blocks so that the edges were square and partially smooth.  Since my power planer makes an enormous mess, I also did this outside.  (The chips from the chainsaw and power planer go in my compost...)
  3. Using a large hand crosscut saw, I sliced off the lids of the boxes.  This is a somewhat delicate operation -- even though it requires lots of force -- as you must ensure that the cut is perfectly planar and parallel to (at least one of) the faces of the block.  I don't have a large enough power saw blade, so this is also a manual step!  In all honesty, this is a ripping operation, so I should have used a rip saw... but I don't have one.  My crosscut saw works well enough.
  4. I did an initial sanding of the cut surfaces and did a little bit of squaring up of the other faces.
  5. I recessed the parts of the box that receive the astrolabe.  This involved tracing the outline of a (disassembled) astrolabe to where the recess needed to go on both the base and the lid of the box.  I then used a router in 1/16" depth increments to cut the recess.  For the base, the recess is stepped since the thumb ring is supported in a more shallow recess than the rest of the astrolabe.  This also gives room for the pointers.  I also recessed the lid.
  6. Power belt sanding.  Lots of it!  Starting with 60 grit, I got all faces parallel and square and cleaned off all the cut marks from the saws and planes.  I also rounded the edges where I wanted them round.  Then I repeated the whole process  with 80, 100, 150, and 180 grit.
  7. Since I wanted a very fine finish, I then hand sanded the entire box with 220, 320, and 400 grit sandpaper.  Walnut will polish nicely with finer sandpaper if you're planning for an oil finish, but that wasn't necessary for this project.
  8. Five coats of polyurethane with plenty of time for drying, and 400 grit hand sanding between each coat.  I made sure that the recesses were left unfinished, since I wanted to adhere a velvet lining.
I wanted to line the inside of the boxes with velvet to protect the astrolabe.  Since the cast acrylic I have been using recently for astrolabes is actually fairly sturdy, a velvet-lined box is surely overkill.  (I did accidentally drop my larger astrolabe, and that shattered the thumb ring.  Since super glue is actually an acrylic, it was a simple matter to fix the crack.  Super glue leaves a mostly invisible joint on acrylic and bonds almost instantly.)

Velvet is a fairly troublesome material for lining.  To make it adhere to a flat surface inside the box, you must support it.  The usual way this is done is to glue the velvet to a sheet of cardboard first, and then glue the cardboard to the box.  Since velvet frays badly, you need to roll the velvet around the back of the cardboard (a second gluing) so that no cut edges show.  Finally, since the boxes have a circular cutout to fit the astrolabe, I had to figure out how to manage that joint.

In the end, I glued the cardboard to the velvet, rolled and glued the edges, but left the circular bottom edge alone.  After the glue dried, I hand stitched the circular bottom edges together.  The result was a stiff velvet "cup" that fits tightly inside the box.


Once the velvet was glued in place, I added hinges and a front clasp.  While hinges and clasps aren't difficult to install, they require precision.  You must be especially careful since you don't want to harm the finish.  I held the box in the vice, but lined it with soft paper towel so that the finish wasn't marred by the vice.  I sharpened (under a microscope) my 1/16" drill bit before starting.  To install the tacks for the clasp, I didn't strike the tacks with the hammer directly, but rather used a recessed punch to ensure that I didn't slip and damage the finish.  When setting the tacks, I also held them in brass tweezers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment