Sunday, March 19, 2017

Clock 3 closer to running

I made a few adjustments to clock 3, and it's now a bit closer to running:
  1. I rounded up the unlocking roller, so that the detent unlocking spring doesn't foul on it.
  2. I filed the foot of the detent to ensure that it aligns better.  It wasn't resting on the banking pin.
  3. I thinned the foot spring on the detent quite a bit.  It's quite delicate, but maybe I can file it thinner if need be.

Although I still can't get it to run by applying weight to the drive wheel, I was able to jury-rig a way to drive the center wheel directly.  I ran a cord over the drive wheel barrel (drive wheel removed) and attached the cord to a tooth on the center wheel, so the force was tangential.  With 3 lb of weight, the clock ran! Of course, 3 lb is too much... the drive wheel would need 30 lb or so.

Additionally, every so often, the escape wheel appears to foul on the impulse roller.  I think the escape wheel tooth strikes the top of the impulse pallet, but it happens very quickly and is hard to see.  I suspect one of the teeth is slightly (less than 0.5mm) ahead of where it should be, but I haven't checked.  It might be possible to file the tooth (or the impulse pallet) back slightly to fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment