Sunday, March 26, 2017

Clock 3 escapement adjustments

By using the strategy of topping-within-the-frame, I got the escapement wheel for clock 3 round.  That helped a bit.

By filing the foot spring on the detent thinner, I got it so that 2 lb tangential force on the center wheel got the clock to run.  Still way too much.  So I kept filing, and the spring got very delicate.  I didn't break it, but it was no longer stiff enough to stay vertical.  So, time to make a new detent. 

Figuring that detents were delicate, I made two: a spring one like the one I over-thinned, and a pivoted one. The pivoted detent consists of two parts, a pivot, which attaches to the cock, and the detent itself.  The detent has a counterweight instead of a return spring. Here are the parts, with no springs...

... and here is the pivoted detent assembled. 

It wasn't hard, but required a little thought.  The pivoted detent is much easier to adjust, but even a bit too light.  A few tenths of an ounce on the counterweight seemed to help.  But I broke the pivot hole, so I'll need remake it.

As for the rest of the clock, the idea of a 4-second period for a compound pendulum with a small radius is not going to work.  The longest I can get is about 1.5-2 second period with no escapement in place.  So this means the gearing will be all wrong...  Perhaps this clock too will be a timer.

No comments:

Post a Comment